Welcome to Part Two of our Social Media for SMB’s! In our first post we covered the basics of getting your business on Twitter. Today’s post will concentrate on Facebook: the biggest social network in the world.
Facebook Quick Facts:
- 30 million businesses now have a Facebook Fan Page.
- 19 million businesses have optimized their Fan Page for mobile.
- Businesses are paying 122% more per ad unit on Facebook than they did just a year ago.
- 1.5 million businesses now spend money on Facebook ads.
- 399 million Facebook users only use Facebook on mobile each month.
(via Jeff Bullas)
Can you believe that first fact? 30 million businesses across the globe are using Facebook to optimize their online marketing efforts! It’s time for your SMB to get started.
Try to post at least 2-3 times a week. Avoid posting more than twice a day
Who should use Facebook:
Anyone marketing to customers ages 27-50
Organizations that host events
Why should your SMB join Facebook?
- To find potential customers. If millions of people are using Facebook every single day, a large percentage of them are bound to be interested in your product or service. Facebook makes it very easy to connect with specific target audiences, turning your “fans” into sales!
- To receive immediate feedback. Having a Facebook brand page is like having direct contact with your consumers. Since people absolutely love to review products online, you have invaluable access to real-time information about your products. Use this info wisely, and learn to handle bad reviews gracefully!
- To optimize your online marketing. Facebook is just one part of the puzzle of cross-promoting your business online. If used correctly, all of your efforts work together to form a powerful digital presence.
How to get started on Facebook
Now that we’ve convinced you to join Facebook, let’s talk about how to get started and how best to manage your social presence:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php and choose a classification from the six available choices such as Local Business, Brand, or Community.
- Add in all your basic information such as business description, website, and hours.
- Choose a profile picture and cover photo in the correct sizes to complement your business branding.
Congrats, you’re ready to start building your Facebook community! Don’t feel overwhelmed – Facebook at its most basic form is a platform intended to help you connect with people who have similar interests by sharing photos, videos and other content through your page. Here are some tips on how to create content and manage your account!
- Get to know the types of content. Facebook currently allows users to post in these six different formats. Figure out which content strategy works best for your business and stick to it!
- Plain text status
- Photo with caption
- Link with caption
- Video with caption
- Event page
- Location check-in
- Aim for the 80/20 ratio: This means that 80% of your posts should focus on giving your fans fun, interesting, helpful and relevant information – while the other 20% of content is more promotional, linking back to your website or spotlighting your products.
- Try a boost! Facebook makes it extremely easy to “boost” your posts to a specific set of demographics, allowing more people than just your fan base to see and interact with your content.
Any more questions? We would love to help you get started or help you create some custom content to post from your Facebook account. Don’t forget to check back for more posts on Social Media for SMB’s!